Thanks to the folks at Cornell Lab of Ornithology for this fun and useful exercise for kids and adults alike. Click the title or the image below to take the Bird Song challenge.
Bird Song Hero…click it!
- Birds sing with a special organ called a syrinx
- Birdsong is greater in the morning hours
- The more elaborate a male’s song, the better his chance of mating
- It’s mostly the males that sing, but dominant females of some species sing too; it is the males who generally teach the offspring to sing
- Birds do not recognize their own voices
- The Texas State Bird — Northern Mockingbird — can have hundreds of songs and some birds’ mimicry defies belief
Cheers! And Happy Birding.